Student performers produce AU-themed sketch comedy show

On Nov. 15, AU student Jana Bernard held her student-run performance of “It’s All in the Delivery!” an original sketch comedy that revolved around the themes of love and pregnancy while using quippy social commentary on the AU student experience.

“It’s All in the Delivery!’’ was written by Bernard, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, directed by CAS and School of Communication Tony Cohn and produced by School of Public Affairs senior Rebecca Day and School of International Service sophomore Monica Emma. The proceeds are going to an organization benefiting AIDS awareness.

The show took place in Foreman Theatre in the McKinley School of Communications. This theater had never been used for a comedy performance before, and there was no better show to break it in. The cast was high-energy and full of smiles, which was contagious to the audience.

The show began with interactive improv scene where the crew asked audience members for phrases to act out. They acted out phrases such as “Terrace Dining Room” and “The Tenders Lady,” bringing the crowd to laughter.

The comedy sketch portion was comprised of five sketches and began with Barbie and Ken having a fight over the fact Ken had cheated on her with G.I. Joe.

The last of the sketches revolved around children, such as a sketch in which marketing crews made just for babies trying to think up innovative new ideas. A panel of wacky characters was deciding what products babies and new mothers needed such as baby Tinder and the “find your baby” app.

Aside from sketches, the crew also created a movie trailer as a satire of “The Hunger Games” entitled, “The American Games.” In the trailer, two “wonks” were chosen to compete until death for a D.C. internship.

The show as a whole poked fun at AU culture and brought together everyone in the

theater through laughter.