Eagles claim Patriot League volleyball championship title

Senior setter Monika Smidova, senior outside hitter Kelly McCaddin and junior outside hitter Allison Cappellino led AU to their second straight Patriot League title Nov. 23. While the Lehigh University Mountain Hawks tested AU, the Eagles triumphed in three tight sets, 25-17, 25-23, 25-20.

“Being at home certainly helped, we have a good crowd and were able to get off to a decent start,” head coach Barry Goldberg said. “They were key moments and we were able to take advantage of those key moments.”

Smidova, McCaddin and Cappellino were named to the Patriot League All-Tournament team, and Smidova was also named the tournament MVP during the post-game trophy presentation.

“All the awards are not only individual awards, but they go to the whole team,” Smidova said. “That’s the beauty of team volleyball and I’m glad we were able to find away and beat Lehigh.”

Smidova earned 34 assists during the match, topping her strong performance in the semifinals, where she accumulated 30 assists. She also added 16 digs and two kills in the championship game against the Mountain Hawks (22-10, 15-3 PL). Cappellino recorded a team-high 14 kills and also had 13 digs, while McCaddin recorded 10 kills and six block assists.

The Eagles (26-6, 17-1 PL), were able to avenge their only regular season Patriot League loss that they suffered to Lehigh on Nov. 15.

“Last time we played Lehigh we were a little bit off on the blocking and they definitely took advantage of it,” McCaddin said. “It was nice to show them what our block is actually like today.”

Senior libero Megan Rosberg also contributed 18 digs, and senior outside hitter Kristyna Lindovska secured nine kills.

The Eagles fell behind early in the first set and trailed 16-14 before a kill from senior outside hitter Sarah Katz and a four point service run by Katz gave the Eagles a 18-16 lead. Rosberg closed out the set for AU by winning six consecutive points off of her serve.

Neither team took control in the second set, and the lead never expanded beyond three points. Lehigh pulled ahead early in the set as AU was plagued by net violations and attack errors. The Eagles fought back in the set, with kills from Lindovska and Cappellino to tie the score 8-8. Both teams traded points until a Lehigh service error at 18-18 gave AU a lead in the set they never relinquished.

In the final set, the Eagles capitalized on net violations and service errors from Lehigh and capitalized on the offensive prowess of McCaddin to race out to a 13-7 lead. The Mountain Hawks attempted to fight back and force a fourth set, but they struggled to regain momentum, and failed to pull within more than three points of the Eagles.

Rosberg delivered a service ace on match point to close out the Mountain Hawks and spark a celebration on the court.

AU returns to the NCAA Volleyball tournament a year after a remarkable run to the Sweet 16. The pairings for the tournament will be announced Nov. 30.

In the Eagles’ fourteen year membership in the Patriot League, they have claimed both the regular season and tournament titles 12 times.

“We’ve got to continue to be a good ball-control team and then get more physical,” Goldberg said. “Your matchup is also a big part of it. We’re hoping for a good draw.”

vsalandro@theeagleonline.com