Photo of Kenneth Clayton. Courtesy of Slyvia Lane, Department of Corrections.

Update: Suspect snuck out during transport to Psychiatric Institute of Washington

Update: Nov. 4, 6:19 p.m.

The Capital Area Regional Task Force is now searching for Kenneth Clayton’s whereabouts, according to a Department of Corrections press release.

The Department of Corrections issued a warrant for Kenneth Clayton’s arrest. Clayton escaped police custody while being transported from the United Medical Center in Southeast D.C. to the Psychiatric Institute of Washington, according to the press release.

Clayton fled custody through a back door exit in a restricted wing of the Psychiatric Institute of Washington building, according to the press release.

As soon as Psychiatric Institute of Washington staff noticed Clayton’s absence, they notified Department of Corrections officers. However, the officers were unable to locate Clayton, according to the press release. 

Update: 7:53 p.m.

The Psychiatric Institute of Washington, where Kenneth Clayton allegedly escaped, is less than a mile away from AU. Map courtesy of Google Maps.

The “dangerous person” has been identified as Kenneth Clayton, according to a press release sent by Sylvia Lane, a Department of Corrections worker, from Keith St. Clair, the public information officer for the Deputy Mayor of Public Safety and Justice.

He allegedly escaped from the Psychiatric Institute of Washington, located at 4228 Wisconsin Ave., N.W. at 10:40 a.m. on Nov. 3.

According to the press release, Clayton has been charged with:

• Simple assault
  • Assault on a police officer
  • Threats
  • Possession of unregistered ammunition
  • Being a “fugitive from justice”

He is medium to dark in complexion and has tattoos on both forearms, according to the press release.

“Representatives from [the Psychiatric Institute of Washington] and district agencies are investigating the circumstances surrounding this event,” according to the press release. 

Update: 2:07 p.m.

Via Google Maps

The man fled police custody in the Tenleytown area, according to the D.C. Metropolitan Police Department. MPD could not comment further, according to Diana, a MPD dispatcher who would only give her first name.

Original story

A dangerous person has fled Metropolitan Police Department custody near 4200 Wisconsin Ave., according to an AU Alert sent at 12:47 p.m.

The person is described described as a 30-year-old, bald, black black man. He is 6 feet 2 inches and 200 pounds. He was last seen wearing a blue shirt and dark pants, according to the alert.

The man is described as dangerous and should not be approached, according to the alert. Students are advised to call 911 if they see the man.

AU Communications could not expand on the alert, according to Director of Public Relations Kelly Alexander. The D.C. Metropolitan Police Department could not be reached in time of publication.

frodriguez@theeagleonline.com