D.C. chief of police Cathy Lanier speaking at AU on Nov. 24

Correction appended

Cathy Lanier, chief of police for the Metropolitan Police Department, will discuss her work in McKinley’s Doyle-Forman Theater on Nov. 24 at 6 p.m.

The event, hosted by the Kennedy Political Union and AU's Office of Community Relations, comes on the heels of widely publicized police brutality in places like Ferguson, Missouri. Lanier will discuss the police’s role in creating safe communities at the event.

Lanier has served as chief of police in D.C. since 2007. She previously worked in D.C.’s uniformed patrol and established the first homeland security and counter-terrorism branch of D.C.’s Special Operations division.

Lanier has criticized the Ferguson police in recent interviews, suggesting she would take a different approach to handling the protests.

“I wouldn’t bring an armored personnel carrier out as a show of force for a protest,” Lanier told WUSA 9 in August.

KPU’s previous speakers this semester included David Plouffe and Stephanie Cutter, Jose Antonio Vargas, Geena Davis and Chris Cillizza.

Note: The story has been updated to show that the Office of Community Relations is co-sponsoring this event.

mlieberman@theeagleonline.com