The Weekend Scene: Oct. 17-19

Fall break may have just ended, but the season has only just begun. Break out your sweaters and scarves and get ready for a weekend full of fall festivities. The changing of the seasons is one of the most beautiful times here in D.C., so don’t waste it inside.

Here are a few events going on this weekend for you to check out:

Free Drive-In Movie

Free movies? What better way to unwind after a long week than laughing along to a comedy about a fellow over-achieving student. This Friday, “Rushmore” will be screening on Union Market’s wall. Don’t have a car? Don’t worry – there is a picnic area open to the public, but be sure to arrive early because spots are first-come, first-serve. Before the movie, there will be a contest with special giveaways and the DC Rollergirls will be serving as car hops. A number of vendors from Union Market will also be offering food and drinks for purchase.

When: Friday, Oct. 17; the parking lot opens at 6 p.m., gates close at 7:45 p.m. and the film begins at 8 p.m.
Where: Union Market, 305 5th St., NE
Metro stop: Union Station, Red Line

Ghost Tours

Feeling brave? Test your guts this weekend during one of the of the National Building Museum’s Ghost Tours. The tour takes you through the building’s dark hallways guided by lantern light. Learn about the dark and haunted past of the museum’s historic home and start getting in the mood for Halloween – it’s never too early. Tickets are $25 but are limited, so buy them online quickly.

When: Oct. 17, 19 and 28
Where: National Building Museum, 401 F St., NW
Metro stop: Judiciary Square, Red Line

Blues Band Battle

Ready for a night out with some groovy music? Then attend the D.C. Blues Society’s 2014 Battle of the Blues Bands this Saturday night. The event features a number of D.C. bands competing to represent the D.C. Blues Society at the 31st International Blues Challenge this January in Memphis. Bring your friends for a night of good music and dancing. Tickets are $13 in advance and $15 at the door for non-members and can be ordered online or by calling.

When: Oct. 18 from 7 p.m. to midnight
Where: 11225 Fern St., Wheaton, MD 20902
Metro stop: Wheaton, Red Line

Bethesda Row Arts Festival

If you’re looking for something more busy, try the 17th annual Bethesda Row Arts Festival this weekend. Make your way along Bethesda Row and check out area artists, street performers and dining. A range of arts and crafts booths will be showcasing their works for sale. Profits from the charity art sale will benefit National Institutes of Health Children’s Charities, including The Children’s Inn, Camp Fantastic/Special Love, Inc. and Friends of the Clinical Center. The event will go on rain or shine, so dress accordingly.

When: Saturday, Oct. 15 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday, Oct. 19 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Where: Bethesda Row, along Woodmont and Bethesda Avenues, and Elm Street
Metro stop: Bethesda, Red Line

Tysons Fall Harvest

If fall is your favorite season, you’ll feel right at home at the Tysons Corner Fall Harvest Festival this weekend. Now accessible through the Silver Line, the festival offers a range of pumpkin-related activities, from carving to smashing and bowling. Plus there will be a petting zoo, offering you and your friends tons of great photo ops. For those above 21, there is also a wine and beer garden offering over 75 fall-themed varieties. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 dollars on site (or $35 for the wine and beer garden), and many activities are free or just a couple dollars.

When: Oct. 18-19 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Where: Lerner Town Square at Tysons II, 8025 Galleria Drive, Tysons, VA
Metro stop: Tysons Corner, Silver Line