The Weekend Scene: Oct. 10-12

It’s festival season in D.C., and we’ve got a few might stand out from the rest. No matter which culture you are a part of or interested in, the weekend has an event for you. Don’t be basic this week – branch out of the AU bubble.

Friday

Film | Neu 2014

Do you wear a lot of black turtlenecks? Do you say “art haus” a lot? Are you one of the few people who knows what Kierkegaardian means?

If so, you might enjoy a film exposition on German, Swiss and Austrian films at this year’s Film | Neu at the Goethe-Institut. The drama “West,” directed by Christian Schwochow, will premiere at this year’s festival and Swiss-Italian writer-director Petra Volpe will present her film “Dreamland.” Film | Neu starts this Friday and runs through Oct. 16.

When: Oct. 10-16, 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.
Where: Goethe-Insitut 812 7th St. NW
Metro stop: Red Line to Chinatown Metro stop

Saturday

8th Annual Columbia Heights Day Festival

Celebrate a neighborhood that is way cooler than Tenleytown at the Columbia Heights Day Festival. For the low price of nothing, you can participate in an adult tricycle race, punish someone in a dunk tank, find out what capoeira is and get your face painted. There will be over 50 local businesses in attendance, plenty of free food, a chance to get your drink on and more awesome mini-events.

When: Oct. 11, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Where: 11th Street NW (from Park Rd to Kenyon St NW) & Harriet Tubman School Yard
Metro stop: Red Line to Glenmont, transfer at Chinatown to Green/Yellow Line to Columbia Heights Metro

Taste of D.C.

Enjoy a respite from pricey menus and the broke-college-student struggle for an entire weekend. Taste of D.C. is a five block-wide buffet of food trucks, restaurants and local eateries that showcase their best menu items at reduced prices on the Restaurant Row. There will also be a wine walk and beer garden for those lucky enough to be above-age. For everything else food-related, there’s Ben’s Chili Bowl, BGR, District Doughnut, Surfside, CapMac and Crepe Love.

When: Oct.11-12, 12-7 p.m.
Where: Pennsylvania Avenue NW & 9th Street and 14th Street
Metro stop: Red Line to Metro Station

Sunday

Fifth Annual Afghan Arts and Culture Festival

Completely free and completely fun, the Afghan Arts and Culture Festival is a great way to get a bit of arts and diverse culture added to your life. Like every other festival, there are eating contests, kite-making booths and art exhibits, but the AACF does all of this with an Afghan flavor. The music, food and poetry you hear might not be anything you have ever heard before, but it is something that you should experience as soon as possible. Learn more at the festival’s website.

When: Oct. 12, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Where: Gateway Park, 1300 Lee Hwy., Arlington, VA
Metro stop: Red Line to Silver Spring, transfer at Metro Station to Orange/Blue Line toward Franconia-Springfield, get off at Rosslyn stop

jsmith@theeagleonline.com