Preview: Tasty treats at Taste of D.C.

Visitors to Pennsylvania Avenue this weekend will have the opportunity to experience a massive helping of D.C. festival culture at its finest: music, mingling and a vast array of food samples.

This year’s Taste of DC event will take place on Oct. 11 and 12 from noon to 7 p.m. each day, rain or shine. Guests can explore nearly 40 food tents and over 15 food trucks, all from local establishments and start-up businesses. For a $10 entrance fee, adventurous food fans gain access to the whole street, which is transformed into “Restaurant Row.”

Each restaurant and food truck features one or more “Taste of…” items, essentially samples of each establishment’s “star dish” or speciality, priced between $1 and $3. These will be served alongside tastes of some of their other most popular dishes.

As guests stroll along Penn Avenue collecting treats, they can also stop by one of the festival’s two music stages, which will feature hourly acts all day Saturday and Sunday.

Additionally, Ben’s Chili Bowl is returning to sponsor its two World Chili Eating Championships. One, beginning at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, will be open only to members of the military, while the second at 3 p.m. will feature a variety of professional eaters from across the country.

Tickets to the event can be purchased online or on-site. All visitors, including those who have pre-purchased tickets, can use the 11th & E Street entrance, but an additional entrance will also be available at 13th & E. Recommended Metro stations are Navy Memorial (Green/Yellow) and Metro Center (Red/Orange/Blue).