Soccer Ball

Late goals from Bucknell foil Women Soccer’s strong defensive display

The Eagles fell at the hands of the Bucknell Bison 3-0 in Patriot League play Oct. 4 in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. AU’s defense stood organized and stout for most of the game, but the Bison breached the Eagles back line three times in the final 23 minutes of the match to shutout the Eagles.

The loss extends AU’s losing streak to six games, during which the Eagles have been outscored by their opponents 15-1.

While both teams battled evenly in the first half and took solid shots on goal, the Bisons (7-5-2, 2-1-1 PL) mounted offensive pressure as the game progressed.

Senior goalkeeper Charlene Belanger made four first half saves for the Eagles and seven saves overall, but she struggled to stop the Bison completely. Bucknell hit the back of the net in the 67th minute to earn the first goal of the game. Sophomore forward Sarah Bressette eluded the AU defense and fired a left-footed shot into the bottom right corner to give the Bison the lead.

Bucknell unlocked the Eagles defense again nine minutes later off a corner kick that rippled past Belanger. Senior midfielder Brigit Falcón whipped the ball into the center of the box, and senior defender Hannah Bonnotto finished through with the goal.

In the 86th minute freshman midfielder Jackie Ham assisted the third goal of the game, after outmaneuvering two Eagles defenders to work her way into the box. She passed the ball to junior forward Danielle Piccirilli, who rifled the ball into the net.

The Eagles (3-10-0, 0-4-0 PL) recorded 11 shots, but only two shots on goal throughout the course of the match. Senior forward Lindsey Muri earned the best scoring chance for the Eagles best chance in the 38th minute with a shot from a distance that just fizzed wide of the post.

The Bison outshot the Eagles 12-5 in the second half and 21-11 throughout the game. Bucknell also earned 11 corner kicks in comparison to the two corner kicks awarded to the Eagles.

The Eagles previously beat Bucknell in their last three meetings since 2010. Saturday’s loss stands as the fourth shutout against AU in their last five games, and they remain winless in the Patriot League.
AU hopes to find their first Patriot League win when they return to Reeves Field on Saturday, Oct. 11 against Army at noon.