Flea and Feed: Exploring D.C.’s farmers market scene

Every two weeks, this column will bring you reviews of local flea and farmers markets.

The Eastern Market is more than just a farmers’ market. It’s a community staple and gathering place. Young and old people alike congregate to purchase fresh foods and flea market treasures as well as enjoy local artwork, music and the ambiance that comes with the market scene. The Eastern Market is not only one of the city’s most well known markets but also its biggest central market. The Market has such an influence on the area that the nearest Metro stop is named after it.

Location

The flea market is only open on Sundays 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.. There, you can expect to find everything from old records and vintage maps to oriental rugs and thousands of old buttons and pins. Need a new dining room table? No problem. Postcards for friends and family back home? The flea market’s got you covered. The holiday season is only two months away and the flea market is a great place to pick up unique stocking stuffers.

Bring your pets

One of the best things about this market is the sheer number of dogs. Entering the market one wonders if they have entered an incognito dog show. If you’re missing your furry pal this is a great place to get your “dog fix.”

Food

For foodies, this market supplies ample appetizing adventures. The permanent shops along the market are well regarded, as are a multitude of food vendors that set up shop along the market.

The hot asian buns from Peoples are a must try. These buns are ridiculously delicious, albeit a bit messy. In front of the shop stands a sign that cheekily reads: “I don’t want to eat bamboo everyday. I want some buns from People’s.” -Bao Bao (the panda). Me, too, Bao Bao. Me, too.

If yummy hot Asian buns aren’t your thing, try the butter chicken indiroll from Indigo (an Indian restaurant). The Indigo stand only operates on weekends. The indirolls are even messier than the buns but the taste is worth it.

The crepe stand at the market is also well known and offers both classic flavors or you can create your own crepe. Make sure to bring cash and know that the stand works on a make your own change honor system.

Art

One of the best aspects of the market is its vibrant art scene. Many local artists come here to display their work and some artists even make the market their “home base” for sales. One such artist is Joe Shymanski. His work includes many humorous, high quality photos of the District, such as images of Lego toys in front of monuments. I was so taken with his photos that I purchased an image of Han Solo and the gang in front of The White House.

If you’re looking for a great day trip to a part of D.C. you may not have explored yet, try the Eastern Market. With its melting pot of people, art, food, and oddities of the past, it is a great place to mill around and enjoy the day.

What: The Eastern Market
When: Sundays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Metro stop: Eastern Market, Red Line