AU field hockey topples No. 19 Cornell University

The Eagles edged out Cornell University Big Red 1-0 on Oct. 5 with a goal from junior midfielder Jess Davis in the first half.

Coming into their matchup, the No. 19 Big Red (8-2, 3-0) were riding a seven-game win streak, whereas the Eagles (6-5, 1-1 PL) had lost their last three games and were halfway through a five-game road stretch.

Strong defense contributed to the Eagles shutout victory, and they recorded their third victory of the season against a top 25 team.

Cornell controlled of most of the first half, and they created several opportunities off penalty corners. Junior goalkeeper Kate McBeath kept the Eagles alive after a diving stick save against junior defender Marisa Siergiej’s penalty corner, and she continued her impressive play throughout the game. McBeath recorded five saves in the first half and secured an additional save in the second half to earn her sixth shutout of the season.

Davis’s goal in the 22nd minute turned out to be the game winner for AU. She dribbled into the circle, and she put the ball into the far post past junior goalkeeper Elizabeth Schaeffler.

The Eagles went into halftime up 1-0 but remained outshot 7-2.

The second half presented a more balanced game between the two sides, but the Eagles still finished the game with only four shots on goal compared Cornell’s six. In the final 10 minutes, the Big Red only mustered one shot, as the AU defense shut down each Cornell offensive opportunity.

Siergiej led Cornell with four shots, and AU senior defender Grace Wilson earned a team high of two shots for the Eagles. Both teams played a physically offensive game, and AU committed a total of 35 fouls in the game, with green cards awarded to senior midfielders Carly Atchison and Rebecca Treharne. Cornell’s foul total came to 43 by the final whistle.

The Eagles continue their five-game road trip on Oct. 11 when they take on Patriot League rival Lafayette College (5-7, 1-2 PL).