Women’s soccer falls to Virginia Commonwealth University 3-0

The AU women’s soccer team lost 3-0 at the hands of Virginia Commonwealth University on Sept. 14 at SportsBackers Stadium in Richmond, Virginia. VCU forced the Eagles on the back foot for most of the match and overwhelmed AU with its offensive pressure.

Senior goalkeeper Charlene Belanger recorded four saves for the Eagles (3-5, 0-0 PL), but it was not enough on a day when VCU (3-3-2) fired 17 shots at the Eagles net. AU managed only two shots, one from junior midfielder Kristen DeRiggi and another from senior defender Michaela Cowgill.

The Rams took control of the game from the outset when sophomore forward Kailyn Slade and junior forward Gabi Dyer each fired shots off target from dangerous positions. AU’s resolute defense broke down in the 22nd minute, and Rams junior midfielder Sharon Wojcik capitalized on the open opportunity. She received a pass from senior Alex Gogolin and fired a shot beyond Belanger from just inside the box to rack up a second point for VCU.

Just five minutes later, the Rams dealt another blow to Eagles defense as VCU senior forward Maren Johnson rocketed a shot to the top left corner of the goal from 25 yards away. The Rams struck again right before halftime when Gogolin went from provider to creator by rounding several Eagles defenders and finishing with goal from close range.

The Eagles built momentum in the second half, earning two corner kicks, but they struggled to find the back of the net. The AU forward duo of senior Lindsey Muri and junior Kelly Donovan, who have been so instrumental in Eagles offensive success this season, were unable to find an end product on a night where chances came at a premium for AU.

AU’s defense readjusted at halftime, and they put out on better second half performance by preventing VCU from adding additional goals to their tally. Under fire constantly from the VCU pressure, the AU defense stood firm in the second interval and closed game without allowing any further damage.

The Eagles hope to find better results as they continue their three-game road trip on Sept. 20 when they open Patriot League play against Lehigh.