The Procrastinator’s Guide to the Weekend: Sept. 5-7

A guide to what’s going on in D.C. this weekend

School may have started, but it’s still summer outside. Make the best of this warm weather before it gets too cold to venture outside. Here’s what’s going on in the District this weekend:

Pop-up Korean Food: Anju

Ever wanted to try a meal at a pop-up restaurant? Well, we’ve got your in – Mandu is hosting the pop-up event Anju with Chefs Tim Ma and Jonah Kim. For $15 you can try three different Korean-inspired bar snacks (or $6 for one) from the menu, available for one night only. It’s a great deal for an experience you can boast to your friends about as truly one of a kind.

When: Sept. 5 at 10 p.m.
Where: 453 K Street, NW Washington, DC 20001
Metro stop: Gallery Place/Chinatown, Red Line

D.C. Chinese Film Festival

Want to just sit back and watch a movie? How about a Chinese film? The nonprofit organization DC Chinese Film Festival (or DCFF) is showing 69 films at various locations across the city over four days. Expose yourself to Chinese culture, and if you’re a really committed film lover, attend one of the four panel discussions. For more information and a full schedule, visit the event website.

When: Sept. 4 through Sept. 7
Where: Various locations throughout the city

Jazz Festivals

Missing Jazz in the Garden? Don’t worry – get your fix at not just one but two different jazz festivals running this weekend. Both festivals are free and open to the public, so bring a blanket and enjoy the music in the sweet summer air.

The Silver Spring Jazz Festival is featuring a variety of food from local restaurants and, of course, jazz performances. The show is headlined by the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, which was founded in 1963 and performs traditional New Orleans-style jazz.

When: Sept. 6, 3:30-10 p.m.
Where: Veterans Plaza in Downtown Silver Spring
Metro stop: Silver Spring, Red Line

Across the Key Bridge, the Rosslyn Jazz Festival features a diverse range of performances that fuse jazz with other genres. These include the Rebirth Brass Band, a Grammy-winning band that mixes brass, funk and hip-hop, and Red Baraat, an eight-piece band that mixes North Indian bhangra with jazz, go-go, brass funk and hip-hop.

When: Sept. 6, 1-7 p.m.
Where: Gateway Park
Metro stop: Rosslyn, Blue and Orange Lines

Greek Festival

Craving Greek dishes like spanakopita or baklava? Attend the Greek Festival hosted at the Sts. Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church this weekend. Experience Greek culture through authentic dishes, live music and dance performances and shop at the marketplace for some ethnic souvenirs.

When: Sept. 6 and 7, noon to 9 p.m.
Where: 15100 New Hampshire Ave.
Metro stop: Silver Spring, Red Line

asrikanth@theeagleonline.com