Soccer Ball

Men’s Soccer held to 1-1 draw against Hartford University

The No. 14 Eagles battled back for a 1-1 draw against the Hartford University Hawks Sept. 23 at Reeves Field to extend their undefeated streak to six games. After conceding a goal two minutes into the game, AU fought to level terms and dominated most of the play from late in the first half through the end of the second overtime period.

The Hawks (3-2-2) got a dream start to the match when junior forward Javoni Simms sent a cross from deep on the right wing to freshman forward Romaine Williamson, who outjumped the Eagles defense to head the ball powerfully into the back of the net. Despite this early defensive breach, AU (6-1-1, 0-0) managed hold Hartford to just three shots on goal for the remainder of the game.

The Eagles offense also responded well, coming close to scoring on several occasions before finding the equalizing goal in the 30th minute. Senior defender Jordan Manley won the ball off Hawks defender Matt Barry and sent a pass out wide to sophomore midfielder Dale Ludwig on the right wing. Ludwig took two touches before squaring the ball back across the box to Manley, who slotted his one-time finish into the left side netting.

“I’m disappointed we started slow, I think after the goal it was a bit of a wake up call for us,” head coach Todd West said. “I thought we were actually okay…we created chances and in their end. But being prepared to play is front to back and that means being prepared to finish.”

The Eagles carried their momentum from the tying goal and continued to press for a winner, holding most of the possession and controlling the tempo of second half and overtimes with quick one-touch passes. AU recorded 28 shots, 10 of which were on goal, and they forced Hartford goalkeeper David Mackinnon into making nine crucial saves.

“I think it really shows how resilient of a team we are,” Manley said. “Unfortunately we didn’t get the win, but I think we battled back and played our way into the game after going down early.”

Neither team managed to secure a winning goal, and the game progressed into overtime. AU controlled the pace of play in the additional periods, and they fired off several golden shots but failed to hit the back of the net.

In the 95th minute, sophomore midfielder Panos Nakhid played a through ball to Ludwig down the right wing. Ludwig cut the ball back to Nakhid, who unleashed a stinging drive destined for the top right corner of the goal, only to have Mackinnon palm it away.

AU nearly stole the game in its dying moments when a deep cross from Manley floated into the box. Michael Cherry nodded the ball down inside the penalty area to set a up a half volley from freshman forward Joel Hart that the Hawk defense deflected away from danger.

“We started off sluggish, but it was nice to come back in and find a rhythm and just keep battling and battling, and we really took it to them after our goal and into the second half and overtime as well. It’s unfortunate we didn’t get the result, but it happens sometimes,” Manley said.

The Eagles are back in action on the road Sept. 27 at 7 p.m. against Lehigh for their Patriot League opener.