Fall Movie Preview: Drama in space, comedy in Korea and more

Summer is over, and the season of movies vying for Oscar consideration is upon us.

From dramedies to musicals and big-screen adaptations of favorite books, here are 10 movies that will be worth seeing in between classes and club meetings this semester.

1. “God Help the Girl” (Sept. 5)

Finally, your prayers for an indie movie musical have been answered. Stuart Murdoch, of Glasgow’s beloved and long-lasting indie rock band Belle & Sebastian, wrote, directed and composed this Scottish romantic musical starring Olly Alexander (“Gulliver’s Travels”) and Emily Browning (“Pompeii”).

Read Murdoch’s 2009 interview with Pitchfork about the project.

2. “The Skeleton Twins” (Sept. 12)

Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader in serious roles? That’s a joke, right? Wrong. “The Skeleton Twins” is the story of estranged brother and sister reunited after their respective brushes with death.

Director Craig Johnson talks to Entertainment Weekly about Wiig and Hader’s sibling relationship.

3. “This Is Where I Leave You” (Sept. 12)

This star-studded adaptation of Jonathan Tropper’s comedic novel tells the story of a grown family reunited after the passing of its patriarch. Jason Bateman (“Arrested Development”), Tina Fey (“30 Rock”), Rose Byrne (“Bridesmaids”) and Adam Driver (“Girls”), among many others, bring the book to life.

Read EW’s first look at the film.

4. “Gone Girl” (Oct. 3)

The highly anticipated adaptation of Gillian Flynn’s thriller novel will feature Ben Affleck (“Argo”) as a husband suspected of murdering his wife (Rosamund Pike, “Pride and Prejudice”).

Author Gillian Flynn discusses translating her book to film.

5. “The Interview” (Oct. 10)

James Franco (“This is the End”) and Seth Rogen’s (“Neighbors”) latest has made headlines for enraging the North Korean government. However, this doesn’t help us figure out what this movie is about. Guess we’ll just have to see for ourselves.

Read this Hollywood Reporter exclusive about the studio’s changes and release date delay.

6. “Ouija” (Oct. 24)

Why has no one thought about making this game into a movie before? Stiles White’s horror flick takes the nostalgic route as a group of friends awaken spirits through the game that terrorized our 6th-grade sleepovers.

Read Smithsonian Magazine’s piece on the history of the Ouija board.

7. “Interstellar” (Nov. 7)

Christopher Nolan’s (“The Dark Knight Rises”) highly anticipated venture into space stars Matthew McConaughey (“Dallas Buyers Club”), Anne Hathaway (“Les Miserables”) and Jessica Chastain (“Zero Dark Thirty”).

Vulture rounds up everything we know about the movie so far.

8. “The Theory of Everything” (Nov. 7)

“Les Miserables” dreamboat Eddie Redmayne chronicles the life and discoveries of physicist Stephen Hawking in this biopic drama.

NPR looks at the possibilities of a movie about Hawking’s life.

9. “Whiplash” (Nov. 13)

The trailer for this movie is so intense that it’s a cinematic experience in itself. Miles Teller (“The Spectacular Now”) stars in writer/director Damien Chazelle’s (“The Last Exorcism Part II”) drama about a young jazz drummer’s struggle for success.

Read Vulture’s report from the movie’s Sundance premiere.

10. “Foxcatcher” (Nov. 14)

“Foxcatcher” is a long way from a U.S. release date and already has critics murmuring. Channing Tatum (“21 Jump Street”) stars as Olympic wrestler Mark Schultz and Steve Carell (“The Office”) turns serious as his sponsor John du Pont.

The Los Angeles Times’ Kenneth Turan reports on the movie’s reception at Cannes.

tsackman@theeagleonline.com