Fireworks during Independence Day in downtown DC.

The Scene Goes Fourth: Independence Day weekend in D.C.

The annual celebration of America’s declaration of independence from Britain has arrived. Whether you’re looking for a tourist attraction or an event off the beaten path, our guide to the 4th of July in D.C. has something for everyone.

Arts & Entertainment

Although the fourth is an American holiday, celebrate other cultures while you wait for the fireworks at the second week of the Smithsonian Folklife Festival, from July 2-9 . This year’s spotlight is on China and Kenya, and both nations have booths filled with art, food and cultural performances all day on the National Mall.

Speaking of the National Mall, the annual Capitol Fourth Concert will take place on the West Lawn of the Capitol and on live telivision at 8 p.m. This year’s lineup includes artists old and new, like Frankie Valli, John Williams, Phillip Phillips, Jordin Sparks and many, many more. The event is free for all attendees.

If lyrics aren’t your thing, the National Cathedral is hosting its annual Independence Day Organ Recital at 11 a.m. Hear your favorite American classics performed in one of D.C.’s largest houses of worship and ask yourself, “What is separation of church and state?”

Music

If you’ve always wondered what it would be like to be admitted to Puff Daddy’s notorious White Party, here’s your chance (sort of). The DMV’s rap and hip-hop radio station, WKYS, is hosting their Independence Day White Out party at the Howard Theatre, complete with a performance by rapper and entrepreneur Yo Gotti. Tickets are a bit pricey — between $60-100 — but if you’re looking for an alternative to the traditional fireworks scene, this party is guaranteed to be good time. Doors open at 9 p.m., with the show starting at 10:30 p.m.

Not a big fan of gangsta rap? Not a problem. The self-proclaimed “America’s best birthday party,” the USA Birthday Dance Party at the Rock and Roll Hotel appeals to your eardrums and your wallet. The dance party, which takes up the first level of the venue located on H St. NE, is free all night. Host disc jockeys The Lothario and The Clown Prince, collectively The Borrowers, promise to play your favorite electro jams. Doors open for the show at 10 p.m., right when the party is set to begin.

Another free dance party option for the 21 crowd is the Coalbox Indie Dance Party at DC9. Although this dance party goes on every Friday night, hitting up a free dance party with cheap drinks ($2!) after a hot day celebrating the good ol’ U S of A might just be exactly what you’re looking for. Doors open when the party begins, 10:30 p.m., right after the fireworks are finished.

Lifestyle

For food, music, fireworks and a good ol’ American block party, stop by the Hill Country’s Backyard Barbecue on the N*ational Building Museum’s West Lawn* from 2 to 9 p.m., where Jeremy Steding, The Slim Kings (featuring Liberty DeVitto) and Jonny Grave & the Tombstones will be performing. Admission is free and although food and drinks are not, prices are moderate.

The City Tap House is having a BeerBQ Battle 12 to 5 p.m., where tickets for samplers are only $10 and select beers are $5 all day. The cornhole competition is free, so sign up your team today!

Go by Second & L Streets, NE between 4 to 7 p.m. to join in on NoMa’s 4th of July Bash where you’ll find a live bluegrass band, moon bounces and face painting. Admission is free and the first 200 people will be treated to free hamburgers, hot dogs and watermelon.