Men’s Basketball freshman Kade Kager transferring from AU

After one season with the team, men’s basketball freshman guard Kade Kager will transfer from AU at the end of his spring semester.

“I have decided to continue my collegiate academic and athletic career at a new institution,” Kager said. “This season was amazing to be a part of and I truly enjoyed playing for the Eagle coaching staff and representing American University. I’m thankful for the chance to play with my brother at the NCAA DI level.”

Although Kager only logged three playing minutes during his season with the Eagles, head coach Mike Brennan considered him to be an important part of the team.

“He showed dedication to the program in our run to the Patriot League title and was a vital part of our scout team. We wish him all the best in his future academic and athletic endeavors,” Brennan said.

The men’s basketball team is expected to retain most of its 2013-14 roster. Aside from Kager, only redshirt junior guard Austin Carroll and senior center Tony Wroblicky are leaving the team following their graduation from AU this spring.

Kager attended Flower Mound High School in Flower Mound, Texas for three years before moving to The Taft School in Watertown, Conn. in 2011. Kager played on the varsity basketball at Taft during the two years he spent at the school and served as the co-captain for the team during his final year.

Kager’s arrival at AU put him on the same team as his older brother and junior guard Kyle Kager. The brothers were part of the team that won the Patriot League title and sent the Eagles to the NCAA Championship in March earlier this year.

“A lot of people don’t ever get to experience that in basketball and to experience that as a freshman is a really cool feeling,” Kade said about his experience with the men’s basketball team in a prior interview. “It’s probably something that I’m never going to forget for the rest of my life.”