Two men arrested behind Kay Life Spiritual Center

Correction appended

Update: 7:08 p.m., Apr. 10

An AU shuttle driver notified the Department of Public Safety of two “intoxicated subjects” that rode the shuttle from Tenleytown to the Katzen Arts Center, according to Camille Lepre, assistant vice president for communications and media, in an email to The Eagle.

Both men were approached on campus by Public Safety officers, according to Lepre.

“The contact led to the identification of one subject that was previously barred from university property. He was arrested for violating that order,” Lepre said. “The second subject was arrested after the contact led to his identification and was found to be a wanted subject by the US marshals service for parole violation. That was for homicide. Both were transported and processed by [Metropolitan Police Department].”

Update: 11:39 p.m.

AU Public Safety will take the lead in the investigation, according to an officer with MPD’s 2nd District.

Original Story

A male was detained by AU Public Safety officers around 10 p.m. Wednesday outside the Kay Spiritual Life Center. Public Safety and Metropolitan Police Officers were on scene in an ongoing investigation

An MPD officer was seen searching through a jacket.

MPD was notified at 9:59 p.m., according to Austin Metcalf, an MPD public information officer.

AU Public Safety declined to comment.

Alejandro Alvarez and Mark Lieberman contributed to this story.

A previous version of this article said a male was detained outside the Kay Building. It has been corrected to Kay Spiritual Life Center.