Spring Breakers: DC edition

Just because you may not be gearing up for an out-of-town break does not mean that there isn’t plenty to do in the District. For those planning to spend the next week in D.C., the Scene offers Spring Breakers: D.C. edition.

Concerts
Dr. Dog
March 15 at 8 p.m.
9:30 Club
$27
The psychedelic folk-rockers are in such high demand that they sold out their first night. Catch them before the second one sells out.

The Internet
Mar. 18, 9 p.m.
Sixth and I
$20
The combined project of Odd Future’s Syd the Kyd and producer Matt Martians will arrive at Sixth and I for a night of neo-soul.

Exhibits and Events
Environmental Film Festival Launch Party
Thursday, Mar. 13
The Warner Building Atrium
$25 in advance, $30 day of

Kick off the Environmental Film Festival at a Launch Party with included food from Chipotle, Cava and Shake Shack, just to name a few. If you’re of age, there’s the promise of a great open bar as well. Sean Peoples is DJing and there will be a silent auction and light show.

U.S. Conservatory and Botanic Gardens
Though smaller in comparison to other Botanical Gardens, D.C.’s own is a hidden gem, often overshadowed by the Smithsonian. Like the Smithsonian, the Botanic Gardens and Conservatory are free, but they are a nice change from the go-to tourist stops.

Day Trips
If the weather is nice enough and you have access to a car (or a ZipCar), why not spend the day away from D.C.?

1. Baltimore
Baltimore is about an hour’s drive from D.C., and it is also possible to get there using mass transportation. Spend the day shopping at the Inner Harbor, and be sure to check out the famous National Aquarium.

2. Shenandoah National Park
Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, this destination is perfect for hiking, fishing and camping.

3. Colonial Williamsburg
History buffs will love this town frozen in time. Colonial Williamsburg is considered America’s largest American History Museum, as most of it has been preserved to resemble how it looked during the American Revolution.

4. New York
Catch an early bus and spend the day in New York City. Fares are as low as $30 roundtrip. If you’ve never been, spend the day as a tourist and visit places like Rockefeller Center, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and Central Park.

tsackman@theeagleonline.com