Dick Cheney to speak at AU

Correction appended

Former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney will speak at AU on March 27 at 8:15 p.m. in Bender Arena as the Kennedy Political Union’s next speaker.

Students will be required to obtain tickets prior to attendance, according to a KPU press release.

Cheney’s political career spans more than 40 years, starting as a Congressman from Wyoming in 1979. He then went on to hold numerous positions in the government during many pivotal moments in recent U.S. history.

Before serving as vice president under former U.S. President George W. Bush, Cheney was White House Chief of Staff during the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Vietnam and the aftermath of the Watergate scandal. During his time as Secretary of Defense between 1989 and 1993, Cheney oversaw U.S. military affairs through the end of the Cold War, the fall of the Soviet Union and the Persian Gulf War.

Apart from his political career, Cheney was CEO of oil field manager Halliburton from 1995 to 2000. He has also authored multiple novels reflecting on his time in office and his health issues, including “In My Time: A Personal and Political Memoir” and “King of the Hill: Power and Personality in the House of Representatives.”

KPU Director Chandler Thornton expressed his enthusiasm for the latest speaker in the organization’s series.

“We are thrilled for the opportunity to host one of the most influential elected officials in United States history on campus at American University,” Thornton said. “Few Americans alive today can match the breadth and depth of his experience and service.”

For more information about this event and update, visit the KPU event Facebook page.

A former version of this story included the quote “We are thrilled for the opportunity to host one of the influential elected officials in United States history on campus at American University.” The correct version is “We are thrilled for the opportunity to host one of the most influential elected officials in United States history on campus at American University.”