AU wrestling outmatched in loss to No. 6 Oklahoma State

In its last duel of the 2013-2014 regular season, the AU wrestling team took a hard loss to No. 6 Oklahoma State University 43-6 on March 2 in Stillwater, Okla.

“Although the loss on the scoreboard was quite big, we wrestled well in some individual bouts,” AU head coach Teague Moore told AUEagles.com. “We will learn from this experience.”

The match started with OSU swiftly taking a 6-0 lead after a forfeit by AU at 125 pounds.

AU sophomore Esteban Gomez- Rivera followed by competing against the Cowboy’s No. 4 Jon Morrison at the 133-pound class, resulting with Gomez-Rivera losing in a 9-3 decision.

Eagle freshman Spencer Slishman took on OSU No. 17 Anthony Collica at the 141-pound class, losing in a 8-3 decision in favor of the Cowboys.

The fourth bout was between 149-pound redshirt freshman Cole Moseley and the Cowboy’s Josh Kindig which saw Kinding pick up the fall, pushing OSU’s lead to 18-0.

Sophomore John Boyle registered AU’s first and only win of the day against redshirt freshman Colton Thomas in the 157-pound class. Boyle pinned Thomas at 3:13 and put the Eagles on the scoreboard chasing OSU 18-6.

The next four bouts also resulted in losses to the Cowboys. In the sixth match, AU’s 165-pound sophomore Cristian Masaya suffered a fall OSU No. 5 Tyler Caldwell at 1:54. In 174-pound class, OSU No. 2 Chris Perry recorded a fall over AU senior Keithen Cast at 4:36, giving OSU the 30-6 lead.

The eighth and ninth bouts also resulted in losses as OSU’s Nolan Boyd overtook freshman Jason Grimes in the 184-pound class with a 10-1 in a major decision and 197-pound OSU senior Blake Rosholt pinned freshman Brett Dempsey in 2:48.

In the final bout, Eagle senior Blake Herrin fought to come back from a 4-2 deficit against No. 15 Austin Marsden of the Cowboys. However, Herrin could not finish the match and grab the winning takedown as AU finished its last bout in a 4-3 loss.

The meet concluded with a score of 43-6 going in the favor of the Cowboys.

The Eagles’ next wrestling bout will be in Philadelphia, Pa. Mar. 8-9 for the 2014 EIWA Championships.