AU PRSSA brings together ‘NYC At AU’

AU’s Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) will bring the magnetic pull of glitzy careers and New York City glamor to AU for a panel about entertainment communications in Katzen Arts Center on March 20.

“‘NYC at AU’ will feature three individuals from journalism, public relations and television arenas in NYC, respectively, to talk about their line of work and how they each got their start,” PRSSA President and SOC senior Kelsey Balimtas said.

Guest panelists for the event include:
Marilyn Laverty, president of Shore Fire Media
Tara Palmeri, reporter for the New York Post
Jason Gold, production executive on “Breaking Bad,” “Mad Men,” “The Killing” and other AMC shows
Russell Williams, Distinguished Artist in Residence at AU and panel moderator

AU PRSSA’s “NYC At AU” event required the assembly of many moving pieces, according to Alex Kreinces, PRSSA’s vice president of publicity and a sophomore in the School of Communication and Kogod School of Business.

“Whether it was reaching out to clubs and outside organizations for sponsorship/donations or asking the panelists to join our event, the process was extremely time consuming but rewarding,” Kreinces said.

Balimtas said the group hosted a similar event last year called “LA at AU” that brought in more than 200 attendees. The event inspired Balimtas and Kathleen Rooney, PRSSA’s vice president of events and a sophomore in the School of Communication, to pursue with the same formula for “NYC At AU.”

“We found a campus-wide and organization-wide need to focus on entertainment communications [from last year],” Balimtas said. “Many students are interested in the field, but contacts can be difficult to find in D.C.”

Both Balimtas and Rooney sought a diverse group of professionals for “LA at AU” in 2012 and “NYC At AU” in 2014 using their professional and alumni connections, according to Balimtas.

“‘LA at AU’ was a sold-out success in 2012 with over 200 attendees and notable names like Vincent Cirrincione (Halle Berry’s publicist) and James Middleton (worked on the ‘Terminator’ franchise, among other films),” Balimtas said.

“NYC @ AU” will be held in the Katzen Arts Center in the Abramson Family Recital Hall on March 20 from 8:00-10:30 p.m. Purchase tickets from eventbrite.

dkahen-kashi@theeagleonline.com