Women’s basketball extend win streak to four

Coming off three consecutive conference wins, the AU women’s basketball team extended their winning streak to four with a win over Lehigh in Bethlehem, Pa. on Feb.12

After trailing at halftime, the Eagles came back and took control of the game in the second half, outscoring Lehigh 43-25 to finish with a final score of 69-56. The victory was a team effort, with four different players scoring in the double digits.

The Eagles (17-7, 10-3 PL) began the game on a strong note by shutting down the Mountain Hawk offense and holding Lehigh scoreless for the first four and a half minutes.

However, the Eagles quickly lost control of the game as the Mountain Hawks (11-12, 4-8 PL) pulled ahead, giving Lehigh a 35-26 lead going into the break.

In the second half AU shined, especially in the last five minutes, where two three-point shots by junior forward Arron Zimmerman and a third three-pointer by senior guard Alexis Dobbs. This gave the AU squad a nine point lead with just over three minutes remaining in the game. Zimmerman hit two foul shots to complete a solid AU victory with the score 69-56 Eagles.

Dobbs had a major impact on the game with 19 points and nine rebounds, just one board shot of completing the double-double. Along with Dobbs, Zimmerman led the Eagles in points with 19.

Coming off the bench, junior forward Shaquilla Curtis gave AU a boost with 13 points and six boards. Junior guard Jen Dumiak contributed a team high four assists.

As a team, the Eagles finished with a shooting percentage of 35 percent, going 21-for-60. Lehigh finished with a shooting percentage of 42 percent, going 19-for-45.

As a whole the Eagles played an aggressive defensive game as well. AU outrebounded Lehigh 39-30. The Mountain Hawks also gave up 21 turnovers, while AU only gave up 12. The Eagles took advantage, scoring 25 points off Lehigh’s turnovers.

With the victory, the Eagles proved that they can win on the road having lost just one game away from Bender Arena during Patriot League play.

The Eagles will face Lafayette at home Feb. 15 and honor four seniors as part of Senior Day.