Lacrosse drops triple overtime match to UMBC

AU dropped a triple overtime match, 11-10 to the University of Maryland-Baltimore County Feb. 22 in Baltimore, Md.

After winning the draw to start the game AU quickly ended any potential of momentum with a string of fouls and a turnover. UMBC, deep in their own territory, traveled the length of the field for a successful clear attempt to set up the first goal of the game.

Down by one, the Eagles (1-2, 0-0 PL) continued collecting fouls and ultimately suffered defensive breakdowns in front of their net. The Retrievers (1-2, 0-0 AE) scored two goals within 19 seconds of each other at 26:43 and 26:22 in the first half.

Winning another draw the Eagles did not let the draw victory go to waste. Exactly one minute after UMBC’s last goal, AU sophomore midfielder Jessica Wojciechowski scored her first of three goals of the game.

Once UMBC scored its fifth goal, putting the Retrievers up 5-1, AU’s offense began to kick in. Sophomore midfielder Olivia Mangan started AU’s first half rally with back-to-back goals. With 1:30 left in the first, Wojciechowski scored her seventh goal of the season off a free position shot, putting the Eagles down just one entering halftime.

The second half started off much like the first with UMBC scoring two quick goals to increase its lead 7-4. With an assist from Mangan, Wojciechowski again scored a key goal to charge AU’s offense. Junior midfielder Jamie Silverman followed up with a goal to cut UMBC’s lead to one.

With 13 minutes left in the game, the Retrievers pulled away again scoring two goal, going up 9-6. Senior midfielder Emily Maher scored the next three goals to tie the game at nine.

With four minutes left, the Eagles took their first lead of the game on a Mangan goal. However, this lead was short lived as UMBC scored less than a minute later, tying it at 10.

Still in a tie at the end of period the game would be sent into three-minute overtime. After a couple of close opportunities for both sides, the game was still tied. The score would remain time after another overtime.

With just 13 seconds left in the third overtime the Retrievers’ Mackenzie Reese scored to give UMBC the victory.

The Eagles next will play at home Feb. 26 against the University of Richmond.

jreyes@theeagleonline.com