AU swimming and diving make a splash at Patriot League Championships

The AU men’s swimming and diving team took sixth place with a total of 178 points and the AU women’s finished in eighth with a total of 151 points after four days at the Patriot League Championships Feb. 19-Feb. 22.

On the first day of the event, the women’s 200 yard medley relay team, consisting of sophomores Paris Wood and Celeste Borras and freshman swimmers Caylee Watson and Julianna Cavano finished with a time of 1:51.18, taking seventh place.

The men’s medley relay team also finished in seventh place. Seniors Bobby Ballance and Matt Wurm and juniors Charlie Taffet and Phil Piombino competed in the 200 yard medley relay with a time of 1:37:08.

The first day of the championship closed with junior diver Melissa Park posting an all-time top-10 scoring dive for AU with a score of 220.3 on the three meter board. AU finished in ninth place and eighth place for the women’s and men’s 800 meter freestyle relay, respectively.

On the second day, Ballance earned in sixteenth place in the 200 yard individual medley finishing with a time of 1:54.90. Ballance also competed in finals for the 200 yard freestyle relay with Wurm, Piombino and junior Dylan Hall placing eighth with a time of 1:26.02.

Also on the second day the AU women’s team raced in the 200 meter freestyle relay finishing in 1:37.00. Wood, Watson, Cavano and freshman Alyssa Colasurdo placed ninth with their time.

Entering the third day, rookie swimmer Kaitie Kudlac finished in fourth place in the 400-yard individual medley with a time of 4:30.04. Sophomore Dylan Rasnick and senior Sean Cudahy finished in eleventh place and seventh place respectively in the 400-yard individual medley for the men’s team.

Borras had a stellar performance placing sixth overall in the 100 yard breaststroke after finishing in 1:05.50.

Taffet advanced to the B-Final in the 100 meter breaststroke for the men, finishing in 14th place.

On the last day of the event, Rasnick placed 10th in the 1650 yard freestyle with a time of 15:58.21.