Alternative Valentine’s Day ideas

Regardless of your relationship status, you either love Valentine’s Day or you despise it. Sometimes the flowers, chocolates and fancy dinners feel scripted. Here are some alternative V-Day ideas on how to spend the 14th with your person or people.

For couples Atlas Arcade

H Street Arcade is as alternatively romantic as it gets. This little-known gem is packed with nostalgia-inducing and money-dissolving classic arcade games like Street Fighter, Pac Man and X-Men as well as a variety of Sega Genesis and Nintendo-64 games. If you’re of age, they also have a stocked bar that allows for the often-underestimated combination of alcohol and classic games. You and your person will be out having a great time at Atlas Arcade while your other friends are still waiting for bread at Chef Geoff’s.

Ice Skating
Georgetown Waterfront

So maybe ice skating at the beautiful Georgetown Waterfront is not so alternative (as alternative Valentine’s Day ideas go), but it’s still better than sitting in a stuffy restaurant stuck eating grilled chicken because it’s too hard to look attractive eating spaghetti. For $15, you have an unlimited amount of time to skate plus ice skate rentals. Don’t forget to bring quarters to take advantage of the lockers, because nothing kills the mood like ice skating with a heavy backpack. You can also use this situation to play off your lack of coordination by saying things along the lines of “I fell for you” when they help you off the ground for the sixteenth time.

For friends
Just because you’re not in the target demographic for Valentine’s Day does not mean you have to stay home in single-person oppression. Chances are you are not the only one. Gather up your friends and celebrate Galentine’s Day, or its less catchy counterpart, “Dude Valentine’s Day.”

Chad America’s 15th Annual Valentine’s Day Rock & Roll Dance Party
Black Cat
1811 14th St. NW

Dance parties at the Black Cat are always a good time and this should be no exception. Take your friends and go all out to the sounds of ’50s and ’60s rock and roll, all for free. Also, after 15 years of doing this, it appears that the mysterious “Chad America” would know what he’s doing. There are bound to be other single people here, and who knows, if things go well you may just be re-consulting this article in a year from now for alternative couple ideas.

Dead Meadow/ The Apes/ Sunwolf
DC9
1940 9th St. NW

As part of an ongoing celebration in honor of 10 years of venue DC9, psychedelic indie rockers Dead Meadow will be playing a Valentine’s Day show. The DC triad will be joined by garage rock bands The Apes and Sunwolf for a night of being too cool for love. Tickets are $13 and doors open at 8:30 p.m.

tsackman@theeagleonline.com