Women’s basketball triumphs over Lafayette

The AU women’s basketball team earned its fourth straight win, 72-57 over Lafayette College Jan. 18 in Easton, Pa.

AU was led in scoring by three players who each recorded double digit points. Senior Alexis Dobbs and Junior Arron Zimmerman both contributed 12 points, while senior Geleisa George scored 11. Zimmerman and George both had five rebounds in addition to scoring while Jen Dumiak had three assists.

“We ran our offense better today and executed well in our motion for the most part,” head coach Megan Gebbia told AUEagles.com. “We need to continue to learn how to play together and at the same time play smarter.”

The Eagles (12-5, 5-1 PL) started off on a 14-3 run to open the game capped off by a jump shot from Dobbs at the 15:32 mark. The Eagles continued to push the score and at one point held a 20-point lead after Ari Booth hit a three-pointer with 2:58 left in regulation.

Lafayette (8-9, 2-4 PL) struggled against the Eagles defense and had several missed opportunities at the close of the first half. Even with players Kelly Loughney and Maia Hood scoring baskets with 1:38 left on the clock, the score at the half was 36-19.

The second half reflected the consistency of the American defense. AU put pressure on the Leopards as soon as the half was underway with Freshman Michelle Holmes’s defensive rebound set up Geleisa George for another basket at 19:04 in the second half. Overall the Eagles would outrebound 39 to 28.

AU was strong from the field, shooting 51.1 percent from the floor and 46.2 percent from beyond the arc. The Leopards would begin to cut into the Eagle lead at 13:56 in the second half after a Jen Dumiak layup put the Eagles up by 22.

The Leopards were able to close the gap to 15 with 3:51 to go thanks to a three-pointer by Jamie O’Hare. The 15-point deficit would hold up at the Eagles would cruise to the 72-57 victory.

The Eagles will hit the road Jan. 22 to play Patriot League newcomer Boston University.