Women’s basketball falls to undefeated Navy

The AU women’s basketball team fell short 48-44 to the Patriot League leading Navy Midshipmen Jan. 29 at Alumni Hall.

The loss marks just the second time this season the Eagles have lost back-to-back games. The loss also puts AU in third place in the Patriot League standings.

The Eagles started off their ninth conference game firing on all cylinders as junior guard Jen Dumiak hit the first points of the game. Dumiak was AU’s (13-7, 6-3 PL) leading scorer with 14 points tonight.

The rest of the Eagles followed Dumiak’s scoring effort, as senior guard Alexis Dobbs had 11 points and senior guard Geleisa George put up 10 points rounding out the scoring leaders for AU.

Midway through the first half the game was only 10-6. The Eagles entered halftime time down by only six, holding Navy at a score of 25-19.

Even though the Eagles would never trail by more than five for the remainder of the half, they were unable to catch up and dropped their second straight conference game.

AU will hit the road for its next match up Feb. 1 to take on the Holy Cross Crusaders in Worcester, Mass.