SIS professor loses battle with cancer

Robert Pastor, 66, a School of International Service professor and world renowned Latin America specialist, died of cancer on Jan. 8. He taught at AU for more than 10 years.

Pastor fought cancer for three and a half years after doctors told him he had only six months to live when he was diagnosed, according to a Jan. 9 memo from SIS Dean James Goldgeier.

“But Bob, true to form, fought his battle against cancer valiantly and was able to witness many more wonderful moments over this period of time, including the birth of his first grandson,” Goldgeier said in the memo.

Pastor joined the AU staff in 2002 after teaching at Emory University for 16 years, according to the memo. He also served as director of the Center for North American Studies and the Center for Democracy and Election Management until his death.

“He had an indomitable will,” said Joseph Eldridge, University chaplain and senior adjunct professorial lecturer in SIS.

Pastor transformed and expanded the study abroad program from 12 to 108 sites, established the American University of Nigeria and commenced the program “Abroad at AU,” which brings students from all over the world to study at AU for a year, according to the AU website.

“Bob through sheer will could make things happen,” Eldridge said. “He was just like a bulldog when he had a good idea.”
Pastor earned his bachelor’s degree from Lafayette College and received his Masters of Public Administration and Ph.D in government from Harvard University, according to the AU website.

After graduating from Harvard, Pastor became the director of Latin America and Caribbean Affairs at the White House National Security Council. In this position, he coordinated with the executive branch regarding policies on Latin American and Caribbean issues including the Panama Canal Treaties, human rights and non-proliferation.

Pastor also served in the Peace Corps in 1972 where he became the adviser to the Malaysian Department of Agriculture and assisted in establishing an agricultural training center for rural youth.

In 1985, Pastor became a fellow and founding director of the Latin America and Caribbean Program at the Carter Center, raising roughly $10 million over 13 years for research and a public policy program on Latin America, the Caribbean and U.S. policy.

Students and staff can share their remembrances of Pastor in a guest book placed in the atrium level of the SIS Building. There will also be a celebration service for Pastor in the SIS atrium on Jan. 25 at 2 p.m.

Pastor is survived by his wife Margaret, his children Kip and Tiffin, and siblings.

sruben@theeagleonline.com