Op/ed: Why I’m not telling you who to vote for

I know what you’re thinking: another opinion about the Student Government Vice President election. Everyone seems to be taking a side. Everyone seems to be changing their Facebook profile picture for somebody. As SG President, I’ve gotten a lot of messages from friends and students I don’t even know too well asking who I’m backing.

I know who I will vote for, but honestly, I don’t think it is right for me to share.

Some may say I’m being too afraid to take a stand. Trust me, my mind is made up. But it isn’t right for me to advertise that because I shouldn’t be hand picking my Vice President midway through the year. I know both Steven Haderer and Ray Bowman. They are honestly both great people. So I would welcome either of them as a part of the team I play for on day one. I believe it is your job to decide who that person should be, not mine.

I know you’ve heard people say “SG is for kids who want to play West Wing” or “What do they even do?” But I sincerely believe it is our best shot at representing the needs and concerns of AU students to our administration and Board of Trustees. It’s our best shot at advocating for issues ranging from students rights to more accessible financial aid. Right now, during this election, it is the best shot we have to put on some awesome programming we will remember for the rest of our lives.

So check out the two candidates and their Facebook pages. Decide who will help to make college the best four years of our lives and then GO VOTE. I’m voting because I really do believe this election matters.

I hope you do too.

But if you insist on me taking a stand on something, I will be provide you with nothing more than what my current profile picture advertises: Rush Sigma Phi Epsilon.

Patrick Kelly is a junior in the School of Public Affairs and College of Arts and Sciences.