Thursday, May 2, 2024

Defense, shot efficiency key to men's basketball

The AU men’s basketball team is off to a 6-0 start in the Patriot League for the first time in program history under new head coach Mike Brennan. Originally voted to finish second-to-last in the conference, the Eagles are carving up their Patriot League rivals through stingy defense and smart shot selection and efficiency.

AU’s offense consists of constant motion, disciplined passing and blocking with hopes of finding an unguarded player who can make a play.

“We’ve done a great job this season of taking smart shots,” Brennan said. “The system is working and the players are becoming more accustomed to it as the year progresses.”

The Eagles are ranked No. 9 in the nation for field goal shooting, making 49.3 percent of their shots. AU’s unforeseen shooting efficiency comes in large part from senior center Tony Wroblicky and junior guard Darius Gardner, whose average field goal attempts are .590 and .516 percent, respectively.

Gardner has become a valuable asset for the Eagles, playing the entirety of nearly every game as well as putting up an average of 10 points a game. He also serves as an overall leader for the team and motivator for AU.

“[Gardner] been a force all season,” Brennan said. “Whenever a play needs to be made he’s there to make it.”

Along with their offensive proficiency, the Eagles boast a stout defense that protects against interior shots in the paint and forces difficult outside attempts. They currently rank first in the Patriot League for scoring defense, giving up only 60.4 points per game while holding their opponents to a .408 field goal percentage.

Defensively the Eagles have been able to yield most top individual star opposing players from having exceptional games, such as Lafayette junior center Dan Trist last week, who converted just 40 percent of his field goals.

“We locked down on [Trist],” Wroblicky said after the game on Saturday. “We weren’t going to let him dominate the rim.”

The Eagles will look to continue their offensive efficiency and defensive fortitude next week as they play Boston University on Jan. 22 at Bender Arena. The winner will take first place in the Patriot League standings.

“We’ve really hit our rhythm lately,” Gardner said. “We’re passing great, defending great, and executing the system the way we should. Boston has many playmakers and we’re going to need to be at our best to beat them.”

aromero@theeagleonline.com