Blackboard, Eagle Secure restored after network outage

Update: 4:00 p.m.

The Office of Information Technology emailed the AU community on Jan. 30 explaining and apologizing for the Jan. 28 network outage.

The system failure was caused by the main server’s inability to switch over to a backup server when the main server malfunctioned, Dave Swartz, assistant vice president of OIT said in the email.

This resulted in the failure of many on campus services, “including Blackboard Learn, Eaglebucks, Colleague, Lotus Traveler, the MyAU Portal, Webmail, the American.edu website, and more,” he said.

However, the reason for the initial system failure has yet to be discovered, Swartz said.

“OIT continues to work with the manufacturer to investigate the root cause for the failure and understand why the systems failed to perform as intended,” Swartz said.

Update 12:57 a.m.
Blackboard, the AU website and other core technology services are now working, according to an AU alert released at 12:50 a.m.

The University is continuing to troubleshoot problems with the network, according to the alert.

Update 9:21 p.m
Blackboard, Salto lock system, Eagle Bucks machines and the AU website continue to be down. However, Eagle Secure and AU card hotspots are now working.

No further AU Alerts have been issued.

Original story
AU experienced a network outage on Jan. 28, according to an AU alert sent at 7:46 p.m. to the campus community.

The services disrupted by the outage include:

• Blackboard
  • Eagle Secure
  • Salto lock system
  • AU card hotspots
  • Eagle Bucks machines
  • AU website

Campus dining services cannot currently accept meal swipes, dining dollars and Eagle Bucks and are taking student AU ID numbers and keeping receipts.

Suzanne Gaber and Heather Mongilio contributed to this story.

dlim@theeagleonline.com