Two police officers stand outside Gray Hall after D.C. Metropolitan Police Department searched the building.

Campus lockdown cleared after gunman scare

See full story of the events here.

UPDATE: 10:06 p.m.

There was no gun on campus or a suspect in custody, according to D.C. Metropolitan Police Department 2nd District Watch Commander Lt. Jesse Porter at a press conference held 9:45 p.m. at Fletcher Gate, outside Southside of campus.

The incident began after an AU student, who was on an AU shuttle, saw a holster, took a picture and alerted AU Public Safety, according to Porter.

However, an AU Alert issued at 9:23 p.m. said there was a suspect in custody. We are working to independently verify this discrepancy.

UPDATE: 9:39 p.m.

Six police cars were outside of the Berkshire Apartments, and policemen were on the A1 floor speaking to a crying female at 9:16 p.m., Eagle reporters Chloe Johnson and Amber Cohen confirmed at the time.

UPDATE: 9:26 P.M.

The campus-wide lockdown has been lifted and the suspect is in custody, according to an AU Alert issued at 9:23 p.m.

D.C. Metropolitan Police Department 2nd District Watch Commander Lt. Jesse Porter said there had been no shots and no injuries at 9:08 p.m. Porter confirmed MPD is looking for the two people from the Public Safety photo.

MPD cleared Gray Hall at 9:11 p.m., according to a tweet by NBC reporter Charlie Bragale.

Gail Hanson, vice president of Campus Life, said AU is asking students to stay inside and to help identify the two people pictured. Emergency procedures were put into place, she said

Public Safety told NBC4 reporters to leave campus as it was declared a crime scene, Jackie Bensen from NBC4 tweeted.

“The university created an incident page accessible from the homepage by 8:20 [p.m.],” Maralee Csellar, the associate director for media relations, said.

UPDATE: 8:56 P.M.

AU Public Safety released a photo on Twitter asking for the identification of two persons, a male and female, both of whom are white.

AU Public Safety said to call 202-885-3636 if you see these individuals. Do not approach.

Original story

A gunman was spotted on campus shortly before 8 p.m. on Dec. 11, according to an AU Alert issued at 7:55 p.m.

The man is not an active shooter, according to the D.C. Metropolitan Police Department.

The campus is currently on lockdown, according to the first AU Alert. Public Safety recommends students to remain sheltered.

AU Public Safety and MPD continue to search for the gunman on campus, according to a third AU Alert issued at 8:29 p.m.

They are currently searching an on-campus building where the man was last seen, Lt. Eric Hayes said.

MPD received a call about a gunman near AU’s campus at 7:42 p.m., according to a MPD department spokesperson. Public Safety and MPD arrived on campus to investigate at 8:06 p.m., according to a second AU Alert.

Brendan Bense, a freshman in the School of Communication said he saw at least four police cars outside of Hughes Hall and heard multiple helicopters circling campus.

Ambulances were spotted on campus, although no shots have been reported.

Students in the Bender Library were evacuated to the basement, according to Suzanne Gaber, an editor for The Eagle currently in the library. Twitter users confirmed students in School of International Service were sent to the Founder’s Room.

Eagle staff writers Chloe Johnson, Heather Mongilio, Tori Dalcourt, Devin Mitchell and David Lim contributed reporting. Mark Natale also contributed.

Editor’s Note: We have removed the link to the Twitter photo released by Public Safety for safety reasons.