Women’s soccer eliminated in Patriot League semifinals

The AU women’s soccer team played a tough, physical game in a 2-0 loss against the top seeded Navy Midshipmen on Nov. 8.

This marks the second year in a row that the Eagles have been eliminated in the semifinals of the Patriot League Tournament.

AU held Navy to a scoreless throughout the first half as Navy attempted six shots, and junior goalkeeper Charlene Belanger earned three saves.

Navy’s offense sparked in the second half, taking 17 shots and scoring two goals. Navy’s junior forward and Patriot League offensive player of the year Morgan Dankanich scored both of Navy’s goals.

The first was on a cross that Dankanich sent into the net and the second was on a free kick that she buried into the net. Navy (16-4, 8-1 PL) senior goalkeeper and captain Elizabeth Hoerner held the Eagles (6-12-2, 4-4-1 PL) to a scoreless game, making two saves.

AU’s junior midfielder Lindsay Muri led the Eagles with three shots, including two shots on goal of AU’s six shots during the contest. Belanger made eight saves in total, but it was not enough to stop Navy’s powerful offense.