SUB uses Metro ads to promote upcoming concert

Student Union Board is advertising the upcoming GROUPLOVE concert through posters in the Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan and U Street’s Metro stations.

“This is the first time that SUB has done any outside advertising,” SUB Director Noah Gray said.

The medium billboard-sized posters feature a link to Eventbrite for tickets as well as price information, Gray said. The GROUPLOVE concert, which is part of the 2013 Campus Consciousness tour, will be held in Bender Arena at 7 p.m. on Nov. 8 and is open to the public.

SUB worked with D.C. Metro’s advertisement branch CBS Outdoor since July to bring the advertisements to the Metro stops, which were not posted until Oct. 18 and 20.

Ticket sales rose after the posters were put in the Metro stations, according to Gray.

“While I can’t disclose how much we paid for the ads, I can [say] that so far we have made at least three times the cost back, thanks to the advertisements,” Gray said in an email.

Tenleytown’s Metro stop does not have a poster because SUB’s executive board agreed that the majority of passengers frequenting the stop were already aware of the concert. Foggy Bottom’s metro stop was also considered, but SUB decided to supply tickets to the George Washington University community for their own distribution to students.

Gray and other SUB executive board members also partnered with alternative radio station DC 101 to promote the tour with contests and VIP giveaways.

“This is the first time we’ve really done a public show, the first time we’ve done a big push and I think this will bring SUB to new heights,” Gray said.

jsmith@theeagleonline.com