Student environmental conference discusses today’s green issues

AU’s Green Eagles, a branch within the Office of Sustainability responsible for educating students at American about environmental issues, held the first Student Environmental Educators Discussion (SEED) in the Mid-Atlantic region. Students gathered to share methods and ideas on how to better educate students on environmental issues.

Students from colleges all across the region were represented, including Richmond, William and Mary, George Washington and Penn State.

The discussion included speakers, campus tours, workshops on how to better educate students and a student panel on environmental education.

Workshops included, “Planning a Campus Sustainability Conference,” which was headed by Sharon Hartzell a student from William and Mary and, “What to Do When People Say ‘No’,” which was led by Leo Brody and Bryan Paz of AU.

“SEED is a venue for like-minded students who want to make changes on their campuses and who want to help teach others and learn from others to do that most effectively,” SEED Planning Committee Chair Starr Brainard said “The motivation behind this event was to find the most effective ways to encourage behavior change.”

The event was planned by Brainard and a committee of 16 other Green Eagles. Josh Kaplan, the manager of the Office of Sustainability’s outreach and education programs, also helped plan the event.

Nabi Khouri, a student from Richmond University, led a workshop, “Greeks Going Green,” with two of her sorority sisters.

“We really did it as a way to see if anybody else had ideas to help our organization to be bigger, be better, and we wanted to relay what we were doing,” Khouri said.