Two AU field hockey team players corner a Towson player on a Oct. 18 game.

AU field hockey finishes strong

The AU women’s field hockey team completed the Patriot League regular season undefeated with a 2-0 victory over Patriot League rival Lehigh University on Nov. 2.

The two goals scored in the first half helped AU (12-5, 6-0 PL) jump to an early lead against Lehigh (3-15, 0-6 PL) that it never relinquished.

At 7:23, AU freshman forward Natalie Konerth tallied the games’ first goal by tipping-in a shot that sailed past Lehigh freshman goalkeeper Julia Ward off of an assist by sophomore midfielder Isabel Terwindt.

With less than four minutes to go in the first half, AU scored again. This time, it was sophomore midfielder Jessica Davis, who found the back of the net after recovering a saved shot.

Standout performances for the Eagles included sophomore goalkeeper Kate MacBeth, who finished the day with three saves and no goals allowed in her first start this season. Junior midfielder Grace Wilson finished with four shots, including three shots on goal.

As a team, the Eagles had 13 total shots with 10 shots on target compared with nine total shots for Lehigh and only three on the mark. In addition, AU had five penalty corners to Leigh’s four.

The Eagles held the Mountain Hawks to no goals and furthered their already strong claim to the Patriot League Championship.

AU’s next matchup is at home against Lafayette University on Nov.8 in the Patriot League semifinals game at 11 a.m.

With a victory against Lafayette next Friday, the Eagles will play Patriot League Championship game the following day.