Women’s soccer three-game win streak snapped

U.S. Naval Academy triumphed over AU women’s soccer team on Oct. 8, snagging first place in the Patriot League.

This loss snaps the Eagles’ three-game conference winning streak and puts AU in a tie with Boston University at nine points for second place in the Patriot League.

Fresh off being named both the Patriot League goalkeeper of the week and AU Student-Athlete of the week, junior Charlene Belanger had an active game making 11 saves during the game.

Prior to the loss, Belanger recorded a shutout in her last two games, gathering 12 saves in the process. As of Monday, Belanger ranked second in the conference in save percentage at .873 and was fourth in the conference with 48.

The Navy offense was aggressive during the game, outshooting the Eagles 23-12. The Eagles’ 12 shots was the highest total for AU in the last seven games, a stretch which saw the Eagles go 3-3.

The lone score on the afternoon came in the 55th minute came when Navy’s Morgan Dankanich put one past Belanger from 20 yards out. Paloma Perez was credited an assist.

AU was unable to score on Navy goalie Elizabeth Hoerner, who stopped all six shots she faced.

Freshman forward Ashley Bonner led the Eagles with three shots on the afternoon. Three players recorded two shots each.

Reigning Patriot Rookie of the Week freshman midfielder Sara Perlman was held without a shot afternoon. Perlman was coming off a Saturday performance, which she assisted the Eagles’ three goals.

AU will travel to West Point, NY Oct. 13 to take on the U.S. Military Academy.

esaltzman@theeagleonline.com