Women’s soccer rebounds with win over Lafayette

The AU women’s soccer team won its first conference victory in two weeks after defeating Lafayette University 1-0 at home Oct.19.

AU (6-8-1, PL 4-1-1) faced 90 minutes of physical play from the Lafayette Leopards (5-8-1, PL 1-5-1), but managed to come out on top. Junior forward Lindsay Muri scored the game’s only goal to secure victory for the Eagles.

“We were good in spurts but very inconsistent overall,” head coach Anabel Jimenez Hering said.

The game got off to a quick start with each team creating several opportunities to score. However, solid defense by both teams held the game scoreless ending the first half.
On the offensive side of the ball, Muri dominated the game and nearly scored in the first half with a potential goal that was called offside. Freshman midfielder Marley Jennings also took a nice shot that was saved by Lafayette goalkeeper Danielle Sedillo, who finished the game with six saves. The Leopards also put pressure on the AU defense and took three corner kicks in the first half.

However, in the second half, the tempo changed dramatically and AU took control of the midfield game. After creating some nice opportunities and taking some quality shots, including one by sophomore midfielder Kristen DeRiggi, AU jumped to the lead after an unassisted goal by Muri, who took the ball into the box and sent it past the keeper to score the game’s lone goal at 51:42.

In the remaining 38 minutes, the Leopards aggressively tried tie up the contest, but the AU defense held firm. In particular, junior defender Kristen Erikson was instrumental in breaking up several Lafayette scoring opportunities, including a potential one on one between Lafayette Junior forward Jaclyn Giordano and Belanger.

Several minutes later, Giordano was also called offside in the midst of a potential scoring opportunity. With less than 30 seconds left in the game, Lafayette tried to convert a free kick into a goal but was stopped by a solid AU defense.

Muri led the team in shots with five shots, two on goal. Junior midfielder Nicole Paviglionite also contributed four shots, including one shot on the goal.

The Eagles finished with 18 total shots to Lafayette’s nine, as well as AU’s seven shots on goal to Lafayette’s three. In the net, junior goalkeeper Charlene Belanger posted a shutout and three saves, including a diving stop of a Lafayette shot early in the first half.

AU will play at Loyola University (Md.)on Oct. 23 before returning home for Senior Day on Oct. 27.