Volleyball continues winning streak Holy Cross victory

One element of success that has been present for the AU volleyball team’s record-setting start to the season has been composure.

The Eagles’ levelheadedness in the second and third sets would be key in their straight set win over the Holy Cross Crusaders Sept. 4 in Bender Arena.

“We have good leaders,” junior setter Monica Smidova said when asked about the Eagles maintain their strong play each match.

After the Crusaders jumped out to a 6-2 lead to open the second set, AU came back by tying the score at nine thanks to a Holy Cross service error and a kill by junior middle blocker Kelly McCaddin.

AU began to assert the form that has kept them in first place in the patriot league, never relinquishing the lead despite Holy Cross cutting the Eagle lead to four at 21-17 until senior setter Kylann Schiedt’s ace sealed the set 25-19 for AU.

“We all just stayed calm and we kept serving,” Smidova said of the team’s play after falling behind in the set.

The Crusaders found themselves down 3-1 before going on a 3-0 run to retake the lead opening the third set. Holy Cross attempted to match AU as the Eagles attempted to the tie the game. AU’s offense proved to be too much when Smidova tied the game at eight. The Eagles would never relinquish the lead en route to the 25-16 set victory.

AU was once again led by two-time Patriot League player of the week senior outside hitter Julianna Crum, who had several key plays throughout the match. Crum also was credited with giving the Eagles the lead with a kill when the third set was tied at eight.

Crum would lead the team in kills with 12 and was one of three Eagles to record double figure kills along with McCaddin and junior outside hitter Allison Cappellino. Smidova also had an active game with a game 35 assists. Cappellino recorded her first double-double of the season when recorded 10 kills and team high 12 digs.

In the first set the Eagles jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead and led as much as much as nine. Although the Crusaders cut the Eagle lead to four, AU would take the set 25-16.

With the win the Eagles improve their record to 26-0 when facing Holy Cross at Bender. AU still has not dropped a match at Bender this season. The Eagles four conference victories this year have all been three set sweeps.

AU looks to build on their four-game conference win streak with a quick turnaround Sept. 5 facing off against the United States Military Academy at Bender to conclude the home stand.

The Black Knights are still expected to play despite the government shutdown earlier in the week, which temporarily suspended athletic completion at all Service Academies.

esaltzman@theeagleonline.com