Taste of D.C. beefs up the competition

The Taste of D.C., the largest Mid-Atlantic culinary festival, came back for another taste this year on Oct. 12 and 13.

In its third year, the two-day culinary event delighted foodies with access to more than 70 of the District’s very best and up-and-coming restaurants and breweries, along with live music.

There were also eating contests, including Ben’s Chili Bowl’s World Chili Eating Championship and BGR The Burger Joint’s first Burger Eating Competition as well as live food demonstrations.

The festival took over five blocks along Pennsylvania Avenue between 9th and 14th Streets and drew a crowd of 50,000 people, despite the gray backdrop and occasional sputtering of rain.

“I’m here to taste all different beers that D.C. has to offer and try different foods,” Satya Malladi, a four-year D.C. resident said, sipping on a dark German beer from the festival’s beer garden. “This is my first Taste of D.C. event, so I’m all excited about it.”

Food options such as half-sized chili dogs from Ben’s Chili Bowl, chipotle cheddar grilled cheese sandwiches from Big Cheese and pumpkin ice cream sandwiches made fresh at Captain Cookie & the Milkman were mostly under $10.

“The food is good, but I thought there would be more free taste tests. I didn’t know everything was going to be paid, but they’re featuring a lot of good restaurants,” Niki McElroy of Laurel, Md. said.

The festival also catered to those affected by the government shutdown with a furlough special, buy one get one free tickets with valid government I.D.

Daiya, an alternative cheese company, appealed to festival-goers with lactose and soy intolerant options and free samples of their newest offerings, including three flavors of their specially formulated cheeses and cream cheeses.

“We always like to introduce our product to someone new. It’s great for anyone who has allergies or is looking for a healthier option,” Jocelyn Chan, a Daiya representative said.

At the festival, there was also a corporate presence with kiosks featuring Fiat, Car2go and Power Home & Modeling Group, among others. But they had their work cut out for them attempting to distract foodies from their lust.

“People obviously are not coming here just to talk about windows, siding and roofing. They’re coming here to taste the food and drink wine and so we have to grab their attention,” David Saidman of Power Home & Modeling Group said.

Prompted by flowing libations and mega-hits like “Blurred Lines” by Robin Thicke and “Ignition Remix” by R. Kelly played by a cover band, spirited festival-goers danced carefree in front of the 11th Street music stage.

“We want this to be the event that people circle on their calendars because there’s nothing like bringing people together with food, music, and libations and really just having a wonderful time on one of the most beautiful streets in America,” Matt DiVincenzo, a Taste of D.C. organizer and a senior in Kogod School of Business said.