Men’s soccer winless streak continues with loss to Army

AU men’s soccer lost to the U.S. Military Academy 2-1 in West Point, New York on Oct. 19 in overtime.

The game winner came four and a half minutes into overtime. Army was able to subdue AU for the rest of overtime as they couldn’t get off a single shot in OT. The Eagles now 0-1-3 in OT games this season.

AU has not won a game since Oct. 5 when they defeated Holy Cross 3-0. Since then, the Eagles (4-6-3, 2-2-1 PL) have had three games that have resulted in two losses and a tie, all against a Patriot League opponent.

“I am disappointed in the result, but could not be more proud of the performance the team put on tonight,” head coach Todd West told AUEagles.com. “Army is a very good, very physical team.”

The Eagles had plenty of opportunities in the first half to score, collecting six corner kicks. However, Army outshot AU in the first half eight to seven. Neither would score until the second half.

Senior defenseman Cristobal Soto scored the first goal of the game of penalty kick at 53 minutes. Army answered back at 76:21 with goal of its own by freshman Tanner Vosvick.

The penalty kicks goals highlight the amount the fouls and yellow cards on both sides. This highly physical game ended with 24 fouls, eight on AU’s side and four yellow cards. Senior forward Colin Seigfreid’s costly yellow card resulted in the Army’s penalty kick goal. The other yellow card was for freshman forward Dale Ludwig.

AU outshot Army 12-4 in the second half, however poor execution caused the fourth overtime game of the season and an eventually al loss.

The Eagles take a break from Patriot League play as they face West Virginia at home on Oct. 22.