Men’s soccer plays to scoreless draw against West Virginia

The nonconference matchup between the AU men’s soccer team and the West Virginia Mountaineers ended in a stalemate on Oct. 22 at Reeves Field.

Playing without three of its starters, AU (4-6-4, 2-2-1 PL) gave some fresh faces time on the field.

The game was physical and fiercely contested by both teams. Together, players on the two teams combined for a total of 20 fouls and three yellow cards. The game was also marked by solid defense by both squads, resulting in the scoreless outcome.

“I just told the guys that if we keep defending like that, we have a chance to win every game. Obviously if you pitch a clean sheet, you have a chance to win,” AU head coach Todd West said about the defensive effort by the Eagles.

The game began with an excellent save by AU sophomore goalkeeper Dylan Hobert to prevent a West Virginia (6-6-3, 1-2-0 MAC) scoring opportunity. It was Hobert’s first college start and his first clean sheet. He finished the game three saves.

Both teams created multiple opportunities to score, but were unable to convert these opportunities into goals. AU senior midfielder Patrick Mehlert took a free kick that went just over the bar for the Eagles in the 20th minute.

Among the scoring opportunities for the Mountaineers in the first half were the seven corner kicks taken by junior midfielder Andy Bevin and sophomore forward Majed Osman. AU goalkeeper Hobert was instrumental in breaking up many of these corner kicks.

In the second half, West Virginia’s sophomore forward Jaime Merriam came the closest of any player on both teams to scoring with a shot that went past the keeper but was called back by an offsides call.

AU failed to convert any of their opportunities for shots, but set up some nice plays, including one that resulted in a shot by freshman forward Joe Iraola which was saved by West Virginia junior goalie Lee Johnston, who finished with five saves.

Tied at regulation, the game went into two 10-minute overtime periods. Two shots for Iraola were blocked and West Virginia failed to score on two shots.

AU ended the contest with 14 total shots, while West Virginia took a total of 16 shots.

The Eagles will take on Lafayette on Oct. 26 at Reeves Field. After this match, they will be playing away at Loyola Maryland on Oct. 30.