Eagle keeper Billy Knutsen, seen here against Navy, made six saves against Bucknell

Men’s soccer goes the distance in 2 OT draw against Bucknell.

The Eagles’ men’s soccer team tied Patriot League foe Bucknell University 1-1 in double overtime on Oct. 12.

The Eagles got off to an explosive start. The Bison’s (7-3-1, 2-1-1 PL) defense was in shambles for most of the half and couldn’t contain the Eagles (4-5-3, 2-1-1 PL). AU kept pressuring and broke through at 12:55. Freshman forward Joe Iraola fought off two defenders in the box and shot from left to right into the back of the net. He was assisted by junior midfielder Stephen Hauschild. The goal was Iraola’s team leading fourth of the season.

Head coach Todd West said he applauded the contributions of all the freshmen this season. Four of the 11 starters against Bucknell were freshmen and two other freshmen collected playing time as substitutes.

The Eagles dominated the first half, limiting the Bison to one shot on goal. AU pressed the whole half and was aggressive while chasing the ball. The Eagles collected four shots on goal and five shots overall in the opening period.

The second half looked to be the controlled by Eagles as well. Bucknell scrambled to contain Iraola and senior forward Colin Seigfreid who both had two shots on goal in the second half. With seven minutes left, Bucknell’s freshman forward Andrew Leischner scored an unassisted goal past senior defender Cristobal Soto and senior goalkeeper Billy Knutsen. The ball seemingly made contact with Soto but then was deflected into the back of the net.

Bison’s late goal forced the game into overtime. AU had ample opportunity to win the game collecting two corner kicks in the first overtime, but the Eagles couldn’t capitalize and the game was forced into double overtime.

Second overtime only saw one shot, which was by Bucknell. AU finished the game with 14 shots, seven of which were on goal, but only one made it into the back of the net.

In the second half the Eagles allowed six shots on goal, which led to a goal. AU couldn’t close the door on Bucknell and allowed the game to go into double overtime and eventually end in a 1-1 tie.

Notably missing from today’s lineup was junior defender Conor Osborne, who is serving a one game suspension after being issued a red card Oct. 9 game against Navy.

“We had to pull Stephen [Haschield] out of midfield, so it changes our midfield, changes our back four without Conor [Osborne], then our midfield changes without Stephen,” West said of the impact Osbourne’s absence had on the game.

In Osborne’s position was senior Colin Seigfreid who regularly plays as a forward but today played the midfield position.

The Eagles will continue Patriot League play on Oct. 19 against U.S. Military Academy in West Point.