The cast for the “Measure for Measure” scene poses for a photo during their dress rehearsal.

Insults fly in the Rude Mechanicals’ annual variety show

The Rude Mechanicals’ annual variety show is tackling “Shakespeare’s Insults” this weekend, highlighting some of the most cutting barbs ever conceived.

Every fall semester the Rudes showcase short scenes from Shakespeare’s works with a central theme to introduce new students to the Renaissance playwright. This year’s show is comprised of five scenes characterized by memorable insults exchanged between the characters.

Here’s a look at what you can expect in each of the five scenes, with commentary from the directors providing insight into the creative process.

Scene 1: “Henry V”
A scene from “Henry V” introduces the show in broadly appealing fashion, beginning with a drunken lip-sync set to Metallica’s cover “Whiskey in the Jar.”

“The first scene is a very physical, loud piece of comedy to open up the show,” said the show’s artistic director Henry Pines, a junior in the School of Public Affairs and the College of Arts and Sciences. In the scene, romantic complications ensue as two soldiers prepare to go to war in France.

Sarah Voelker, an undecided sophomore, directed this scene with the intent of humanizing the often-overlooked characters.

“The point of this scene, besides making people laugh, is to make them care about the characters as people,” Voelker said. “They’re crooks, they’re fools, but they’re also good people.”

Scene 2: “Much Ado About Nothing”
This scene continues the energetic vibe, riding on the charms of the bumbling policeman Dogberry, played by Nathan Fillion in Joss Whedon’s recent film adaptation.

Carson Bear, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, directed the second scene, adding an amusing Western twist to the classic comedy.

“I decided to take a goofy spin on it,” she said. “It’s silly and straightforward.”

Some of the show’s most memorable props appear in this scene, including a pair of glittering cowboy hats.

Scene 3: “Measure for Measure”
The comedy starts to give way to more serious tone in the third scene.

“While it is funny, we start to move into gray moral territory,” Pines said.

Directed by Sakari Ishatar, a sophomore in the School of International Service and College of Arts and Sciences, the scene follows the dignified Duke, who is disguised as a friar, to find out what his constituents think of him.

The scene should make the audiences consider the concept of responsibility, according to Pines.

Scene 4: “Titus Andronicus”
In the fourth scene, a dramatic piece from “Titus Andronicus,” tragedy comes to the forefront. Two ignorant brothers, who are the sons of a Roman empress, are confronted with a moral dilemma that involves both rape and murder.

Lucette Moran, a sophomore in School of Public Affairs and School of International Service, found this scene challenging to direct because of its subtlety.

“Seventy percent of what’s happening is not said,” Moran said.

Scene 5: “King Lear”
The show ends with a legendary exchange from “King Lear,” the most densely scripted scene in the show. Nicknamed “the Kenting,” this scene revolves around nobleman Kent’s steady stream of insults directed at servant Oswald.

Director Ryan Mays, a sophomore in School of Communication, said he focused on sharpening the conflict between the three different worldviews at play.

“It ends the show on a darker note,” Mays said.

Collaborating with the actors
Each of the five directors took a different approach to realizing their vision, but they’re united by a desire to let the actors contribute.

“I’m a really big proponent of working with the actors instead of telling them what to do,” Moran said.

Mays also gave his actors the freedom to interpret the scene on their own.

“All three of them have added things to the scene,” he said.

Audiences can expect a wide-ranging exploration of Shakespeare’s insults this week, and the directors couldn’t be happier with the finished product.

“I’ve been extraordinarily lucky with the cast, my fellow directors, the crew and Henry,” Mays said.

The Rude Mechanicals’ Annual Variety Show “Shakespeare’s Insults” will be held in the Letts Formal Lounge on Oct. 3, 4 and 5 at 8 p.m. Tickets cost $5.

mlieberman@theeagleonline.com