Field hockey takes down Colgate

The AU women’s field hockey team defeated Colgate on the road 3-2 for their third consecutive conference win on Oct. 5

AU (7-3, 3-0 PL) jumped to an early lead after scoring two goals in the first 15 minutes of play. Colgate (7-3, 3-0 PL) responded with two goals of their own. After losing the lead, the Eagles managed to score a goal with less than two minutes left in regulation to defeat the Colgate Raiders. Freshman midfielder Victoria DeKepper led the Eagles to victory by scoring two goals, including the game clincher with 1:21 left in the second half.

The Eagles cruised to an early with a goal by DeKepper just five minutes into the first pass. After getting a solid pass from freshman midfielder Natalie Marsh along the goal line, DeKepper buried the ball into the net for the score.

Eight minutes later, AU scored again, this time with senior midfielder Shelly Montgomery on a rebound off a Raider defender. Montgomery is now tied with junior defender Grace Wilson for the team lead of five goals.

The Raiders were able to get on the board with a goal from senior attacker Olivia Nabhan just 34 seconds later. She scored after she was able to settle down junior attacker Eliana Brown’s shot and beat AU senior goalkeeper Ashley Dalisera for the goal. With just under two minutes to go in the first half, Colgate freshman attacker Whitney Jones tied up the game with a well-placed shot off another rebounded shot.

The game remained tied for the rest of the second half until a Colgate yellow card gave AU the chance to score. Rushing to the top of the circle, DeKepper made a move around a Colgate defender and hit a backhanded shot. DeKepper’s clutch goal gave AU the win in this intense contest.

Next week, AU will face Lafayette University at home Oct. 12 in their fourth conference matchup this season.