D.C. United wins U.S. Open Cup

D.C. United won the 2013 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup after defeating Real Salt Lake 1-0 at Rio
Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah on Oct. 1.

Midfielder Lewis Neal’s first half goal during stoppage time was enough to give the black-and-red their
13th trophy in team history and give them back the title of the most decorated team in Major
League Soccer.

They also earned $250,000 and a spot in next year’s CONCACAF Champions League, which is
a continental tournament between the top teams from North and Central America.

After failed attempts from both teams to move forward and assert themselves, D.C.
United found the breakthrough moments before the second half.

United midfielder John Thorrington made a run down the left wing, attempting a shot on the goal
as he reached the edge of the penalty box. However, it was deflected by Salt Lake defender
Carlos Salcedo, but found its way to Lewis Neal, who blasted it past RSL keeper
Nick Rimando.

D.C. United spent most of the second half trying to contain the heavy firepower of Real Salt
Lake, who outshot United 18-6. D.C. goalkeeper Bill Hamid was up to the task and made some
crucial saves right until the final whistle.

In the 59th minute, Salt Lake midfielder Sebastian Velasquez found himself free in the United
box, and blasted an effort that deflected off the crossbar and out of play.

Salt Lake came closest to scoring in the final minutes of the game, starting with a serious
chance courtesy of forward Àlvaro Saborio in the 81st minute. Saborio, like Velasquez before
him, found himself free in the box and blasted a shot at Hamid, who was able to get a hand to it
and deflect it out of play.

In stoppage time, Salt Lake forward Devon Sandoval attempted a bicycle kick shot on goal,
which Hamid saved with little trouble. Moments later, right before the final whistle, Saborio got
his head to a ball, which beat Hamid, but was saved by the ball deflecting off of the crossbar.

Neal’s goal stood and United celebrated their third U.S. Open Cup triumph in the 100th edition of the tournament. They will return to MLS play on Oct. 4, to face the Chicago Fire at RFK
Stadium.