Erin Mulhern was one of six Eagle players to record at least one shot in the loss to Richmond.

Women’s soccer drops to Richmond in midweek match

The AU women’s soccer team concluded their out of conference schedule with a 3-1 loss to the Richmond Spiders at Reeves Field on Sept. 25.

It was a particularly tough match for junior goalkeeper Sarah Dejak, who took the loss after allowing three goals on nine Richmond (3-5-2, 0-0-0 A10) shots. Dejak was pulled for regular starter junior Charlene Belanger in the 55th minute.

The breaking point for Dejak came when the Spiders’ Jensen Smith put a shot into the AU (3-7-0, 1-0-0 PL) net with an assist from Ashley Williams. The goal put the Spiders up 3-0.

Belanger would remain relatively untested for the match after taking over, making just one save on the one shot on goal.

The Eagles’ lone score would come late in the second half when junior Lindsay Muri put a shot in the goal, passing Richmond keeper Devin O’Brien who had come in for starting keeper Emily Kelly. Erin Ryan was credited with the assist. It was the third of the season for Muri, who now leads the team in goals.

With the out-of-conference schedule out of the way the Eagles can now focus entirely on league play. Currently the Eagles are in a five way tie for first in the Patriot League after defeating Lehigh Sept. 27.

The first test of conference play will be the Oct. 2 matchup against Navy which was projected to finish second in the conference in the preseason poll. Midshipmen defender Jade Seabrook was also voted preseason Defensive Player of the Year.

AU hits the road again when they travel to Holy Cross Sept. 28, where the Eagles will look to win their second straight conference match.

esaltzman@theeagleonline.com