The ceramic sheep sat outside Bender Library in fall 2012.

The library sheep promotes student resources

The Bender Library helped new students learn about library resources through a recent promotion and scavenger hunt, according to Nancy Davenport, the University Librarian.

The scavenger hunt was based on the library’s ceramic sheep, which went missing from its normal spot in the library lobby during the promotion.

A university email from Sept. 5 claimed that the Broderbund educational software character Carmen Sandiego) had stolen the sheep, prompting students to become involved by “liking” the AU Library Facebook page.

Roughly 135 students participated in the promotion which was intended to help freshmen learn about library’s online databases, printing stations and quiet study spots, according to Davenport.

The promotion included Davenport Coffee Lounge coupons for all participants, and a scavenger hunt with five $75 Amazon gift cards as prizes.

The promotion ended on Sept. 16, according to Davenport.

The scavenger-hunt was confusing to students who are new at AU, like Kylie Mason, a graduate student in the School of International Service.

“I didn’t even know that the sheep was an actual thing,” Mason said. “Students like me who are new this year had no idea that it’s an actual physical thing.”

Mason suggested a more direct approach for the promotion.

“Why didn’t the library just come right out and say, ‘follow us on Twitter, follow us on Facebook, or on any of these other social media platforms’ and you could win a gift card,” Mason said.

jangle@theeagleonline.com