Dale Ludwig tied for a team high three shots in the 1-0 loss to Liberty

Men’s soccer drops first game of homestand

The AU men’s soccer team dropped the first game of a three-game homestand in a 1-0 decision against the Liberty Frames Sept. 21 at Jacobs Field.

The match started out balanced with both teams exchanging possessions along with shots and corner kicks in the first half. Neither team was able to create a goal and the teams entered the half scorless.

The lone tally in the game came in the 71st minute when Liberty’s Sam Duinick put a ball past Eagle keeper Billy Knutsen. Tim Harbison and Jonatan Torres were credited with the assists. Knutsen would make three saves for the Eagles, all three coming in the first half.

Liberty took the game despite AU’s significant offensive pressure on the Flames throughout the match. AU had 18 shots on goal compared to Liberty’s nine, forcing keeper Sam Chappell to make seven saves. AU also held the advantage in corner kicks 12-9.

The Eagles had the opportunity to respond after the goal, peppering Chappell with six shots forcing four corner kicks. However, they were unable to convert any of those chances into goals.

AU’s offensive leaders were freshman forward Dale Ludwig, senior midfielder Patrick Mehlert and junior defender Connor Osborne with three shots each. Senior midfielder Colin Seigfreid and junior midfielder Mark Plaisance tallied two shots in the contest.

The Eagles committed nine fouls resulting in three yellow cards. Liberty also fouled nine times and received four yellow cards.

The Eagles will begin conference play Sept. 28 upon hosting Lehigh at Reeves field.

Entering the 2013 season, the Eagles were selected to win the preseason. The Eagles will look to win the Patriot League after being the runner up for the last four season.

esaltzman@theeagleonline.com