Living the college life, minus the booze

When his friends want to go out and party on the weekends, Ben Wax is conflicted. He does not feel comfortable breaking the law or putting harmful substances in his body. As a student who wants to stay substance-free, he feels awkward not drinking at frat parties.

Instead, Wax, a junior in the Kogod School of Business, spends his weekend nights hanging with friends, going out to dinner or playing video games on his Wii.

Another student who decided to be substance-free, India Pasiuk, hosts movie marathons in her room or eats at new restaurants around D.C.

Even though Welcome Week festivities are over, the pressure continues. Pasiuk, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, said students do not need to give in to the pressure.

“I don’t find it too hard to be substance-free here. My friends either don’t drink themselves or only drink occasionally,” she said in an email. “My friends respect my choices, and I respect theirs.”

Pasiuk chose not to drink due to health reasons while Wax did not feel comfortable violating the law.

While peer pressure is evident on AU’s campus, both Pasiuk and Wax are able to stay substance-free.

“There are nights where friends are out at parties, drinking, so there are times where it is hard to find someone to hang out with,” Wax said.

Even non-drinkers can still go out and party, but can still turn down an offer to drink, Pasiuk said.

“Stick to what you believe in,” Wax said. “Peer pressure is a real thing in society, but you don’t have to do something you’re not comfortable with.”

acohen@theeagleonline.com